Purpose of the Project
Eight years have passed since the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and the year 2030, the first turning point, is approaching. People who can see the structure of social problems, discuss and examine solutions, and put these into action are necessary to achieve goals of the SDGs by 2030 and create sustainable society by 2050.
To this end, Kyoto University has been offering Kyoto University SDGs Leadership Development Program since 2020, and an annual program that combines online seminars, hands-on learning, and camps to nurture junior and senior high school students who will lead the next generation. In addition, we held “Earth Youth Summit 2023 in KYOTO” in March 2023, aimed to help students acquire global perspective, exchange their ideas in English, and proactively link the discussion results to proposals. Participants not only from Japan but also from overseas have discussed, and the results were disseminated at several venues including 2023 G7 Hiroshima Summit.
In this year, Kyoto University SDGs Leadership Development Program the Earth Youth Summit in KYOTO will be integrated, and participants will be invited from Japan and overseas to join Earth Youth Summit 2024 in KYOTO, an one-year-long program designed to sincerely consider, discuss, and communicate about the SDGs in English. We hope that this will be a place where prospective future leaders to deepen their thoughts about diverse social issues and acquire the ability to communicate their ideas considering EXPO 2025 Osaka, Kansai, Japan.
Application GuidelinesApplication Guidelines of Earth Youth Summit 2024 in KYOTO
Outline of Implementation
Earth Youth Summit in KYOTO will be in two parts: a pre-seminar to improve skills for English conversation and knowledge, and a main-seminar to discuss about proposals.
This application is for the pre-seminar. You have to attend the pre-seminar at least once to join the main-seminar. If you want to join the main-seminar, please do not forget to apply for the pre-seminar.
Discussions using an online meeting application will be held on the second Saturday of each month from September 2023 to February 2024. After watching the lecture videos (in English) in advance, a wide range of topics related to the SDGs will be discussed mainly in English.
From February 2024 to July 2024, group works will be conducted using an online meeting application by discussions within small groups.At least one time of attendance to the pre-seminar is required to apply for the main-seminar.The secretariat of Earth Youth Summit in KYOTO will conduct a selection process at the time of application for the main-seminar.
The outline and application form for the main-seminar will be released in December 2023.
- Application Requirements
- ①Applicants must be in their 3rd year of junior high school, 1st year of high school, or 2nd year of high school (＊3rd, 4th, or 5th year in the case of secondary schools) at the time of application.
- ②Those who are interested in the leadership for the next generation, and activities related to environmental issues and the SDGs.
- ③Those who can prepare to participate seminars by using the online meeting application.
- Dates and times of pre-seminar
- *The 2nd Saturday from September 2023 to February 2023: 14:00-16:00, 22:00-24:00(Japan Standard Time: UTC+09:00)
Two time slots are arranged to allow participants from overseas to attend.
Discussion topics will be the same regardless of whichever you attend in a day.
- Deadline of application for pre-seminar
- January 12, 2024
You can apply for the pre-seminar below on this page.
- Handling of Personal Information
- Personal information submitted at the time of application will be used only for the purpose of registration to this program. A person in charge for the management of personal information will be appointed, and security measures will be implemented to prevent loss or leakage of personal information.
- Notes on participation in the program
- ①In principle, English will be the language used during the period, but contents of the discussions as well as participants' motivation, enthusiasm, and thoughts are the most important points. We are also considering the possibility of interpreter assistance by mentors.
- ②Since the program covers across fiscal years, participants are requested to confirm their schedule for the next fiscal year before apply to this course.
If it is difficult to participate until August due to examinations, etc., it is possible to participate only in the pre-seminar.
- ③Minors must obtain prior consent from their parents or guardians before application.
A parental consent form must be submitted later.
- ④Participation fee
There is no charge for attending the seminars, though the communication expense is to be borne by the participant.
- Management Structure (partially planned)
- Organizers: Kyoto Beyond SDGs Consortium
- Contact information
- Earth Youth Summit homepage All staff members are looking forward to receive applications from all of you who wish to take up the challenge of join activities that will change the future.